Monday, July 26, 2010

Mommy's car stuck in the mud

While we were in Texas a couple weeks ago, my hubby came and surprised me with a new suburban for my birthday!!!  I was so excited and I just love it!!  It has everything I wanted in it!!  So, on the way back home, there were some really bad storms just south of where we live.  My hubby went through the storm before I did and it damaged his work pickup pretty bad- hail cracked the windshield and left pretty big dents.  Needless to say I was not going to drive my new suburban into that.  So, we (my mom is following me in her car) decide to try and go around the storm.  I'm on the phone with my dad who is watching the radar (the electricity is out at our house, so my hubby can't help).  There is a line of storms that just keeps building and building.  With my dad guiding me, I decide to try and head north between two storms and hopefully be able to get home.  I am winding through some country roads (dirt) and finally come to a paved road.  I need to go north but the next paved road heading north is another 15 miles down the road and I really need to get north because of a bad storm coming up behind us.  So, I make the decision to head north on a dirt road.  HUGE mistake!!!  I am on the road for just a little bit and start sliding.  I put it in 4WD and am still sliding.  I know what to do in this type of situation and I am doing it, but despite everything I do, I keep sliding more and more towards a ditch.  When my mom sees me start to slide, she puts her suburban in 4WD and backs up and thankfully is able to get out back onto the pavement.  So, I stop because I am awfully close to the ditch and someone's field.  I crawl out the passenger side, take off my shoes and mom runs up to the car.  We run through the mud carrying the boys to her car in the rain, hurrying before the other storm gets us.  By this time, I have called Will and he is on his way.  There are now the boys and I in my moms car with no car seats for the boys.  When we meet up with Will, my mom hops in with him to try and get my suburban unstuck and I head to the house with my cousin and kiddos.  Will trys to get it unstuck but it ends up in the field- which was better than sitting in the middle of the road.  So, the next day we head over there to try and get it out.  Thankfully with my mom's suburban in 4WD we were able to do so.  All that morning, Worm kept saying, "Mommy's car stuck in the mud"  over and over and over....  It was cute but after the 500th time- it was getting a little old!!  Anyways, it is a funny story now, but at the time was not.  So, here are some pictures from our little adventure!!




My little helper

My other helper

Project supervisor

The other project supervisor

My beautiful clean new car!!!

By this time, both boys had stripped down and were in the big water bucket but none of the pictures were appropriate for the web.  I need to learn how to put something over the parts I don't want showing.  I know I can edit it and do that but need to learn how.  I don't know how they could stand the water because it was cold!!!  I got in it with Austin and was cold and I just had my feet in it!!!  It's a big bucket that I filled up for them and they were both sitting in it!!!

No comments: